Recipe For Masala Dosa
Today I am going to tell you how to prepare a healthy and fulfilling south Indian food known as “Masala Dosa”.
Ingredients For The Batter:
Rice – 2cups
Urad Dal Dhuli – 1 cup
Flattened Rice – 1 cup
Peas – 1/2 cup
Methi – 1 tbsp
Semolina ( Sooji) – 1⁄2 cup
Ingredients For Masala:
Boiled potatoes -4 (nos)
Peas – 1 cup
Onions -2 (nos)
Red Chili- 2 whole
Mustard seeds – 2 tbsp
Turmeric – 1 tbsp
Coriander – few strands
● Soak rice and urad dal overnight. Make sure you soak them separately and put the methi seeds with the urad dal.
● Once soaked they increase in quantity and now grind them separately and make sure that you don’t put excess water while grinding them.
● Once grinded add salt to the batter, mix it well and put it aside for a while so that the fermentation process occurs.
● Let it sit for at least 5-6 hrs so that the batter becomes good and even fermentation takes place.
● If required then only add water depending on the consistency as you need to make it into a big circle.
● Masala is the one which plays a very important role in masala dosa so let’s see how to make it.
● Put a pan on the gas top and pour a bit of cooking oil of your choice in it. Once oil is heated, add some mustard seeds to it, now add whole red chilies and 4 to 5 curry leaves.
● Add a pinch of turmeric, then add onions to it. Let the onion cook for a while as it changes it’s color. Now add some peas to it along with salt. Salt helps in cooking vegetables faster.
● Once peas become soft you could mash the potatoes and add it to them.
● Mix the masala well and let it be on the flame so potatoes absorb everything.
● If you wish you could add some water.
● Now your masala is ready let’s see how to prepare your dosa now.
● To add that crisp taste to your dosa do add some Sooji to the batter and mix well just before you are about to make dosas.
● Heat your dosa tawa and lower the flame and now evenly spread a big spoon of batter slowly with very light hands.
● Now add some onions which are cut into pieces and pour one tbsp of oil on it.
● Bring the flame to medium and try to remove the dosa from the sides.
● You could add masala in the middle and first put the first end on it and then the second one.
● It is ready to be served with some chutney and sambhar.
So feast on the Dosas and do share this recipe with the people you know. Its a healthy option already but if you wish you can also add vegetables of your choice instead of mashed potatoes in masala or you can even try plain dosa, that is, dosa without masala.